Friday, June 27, 2014

Birthday at the Spa

I barely needed to make the suggestion of going to the spa when Anna and Cattis immediately said YES! We did it last time I was here and it was the first time for both of them to any spa. Now I think it is going to become our tradition. It is definitely one I can handle!
We took a photo by my request before we started our spa treatments. 
Orbaden Spa is about 20 minutes from our house and it is about halfway between Farmor's house and our house. We made arrangements to have Patrik drive us to the spa and then pick us up at the end of the day. That way the guys had access to all the cars while we were gone. In order to prevent Erik from getting stuck with 5 kids while we were transported to the spa ... Patrik brought Ebbe and Vilda with him to our house. He dropped off Ebbe to play with Davin and Vilda came for a quick car ride.

I am not exactly sure what the guys did while we were at the spa but it sounded like Patrik hung out with Fredrik at our house until about lunchtime and then headed back to the cabin to hang out with Erik until he had to pick us up again.

We all bought the same package which was access to all the spa amenities for the whole day and it included a lunch and a 25 minute treatment. We all picked a massage this time. So, we started off with a soak in a mineral pool and a glass of bubbly. Anna opted for the same and Cattis had a rose wine. It was quite warm in the pool (I think they said it was 38 degrees which is just over body temp) so we took a dip in the regular pool right next to it which was warm but much cooler than the mineral pool. We spent most of our time just talking and getting to know each other better.

Next up was a visit to the sauna which was in the shower area. We were still in our bathing suits so we just went in to experience it a bit. It was really hot but nice to have some dry heat. Then we headed to the jacuzzi tub which was outside. Oh speaking of the weather ... it has been cold and raining again Thursday and Friday. It is back to being around 11 C or 52 F again but at least on Friday there is barely any rain. It might have been a little warmer at the spa since it felt really nice outside but maybe that was just because we came out from the hot sauna!
Our view of the river Ljusnan (yes, the same one we live by and where our family cabin is)
I thought it was a lake at first but now that I look on the map, it is the same river!
After some time in the jacuzzi, we decided it was time for lunch. We go inside and take a quick shower and get dressed for lunch. Our lunch is so delicious! It was a buffet of so many great and fresh foods. It reminded me of the lunch buffet at my husband's work. He is so spoiled! The best thing I had was the salmon with some sort of dill butter. I wish I got seconds but I was so full from tasting all the other salads and potato salad and more. Even the bread was really good too. The other girls said it was a REALLY nice change from the food at the cabin which is just quick canned food for the most part. Also, the fact that it was the first shower they had had in 3 days was a welcome change too. We all had another glass of rose but I opted for another sparkling wine. Cheers! Skol!
Yes, two plates full of yummy food! I would go back here again just for the food!
Then it was time for our massages, so we headed back and got changed into our bathrobes. However, we realized that we made a mistake by wearing our robes out to the jacuzzi instead of bringing towels. So, now we were naked except for the soggy bathrobe to wait in. Getting a Swedish massage was a different experience than what I am used to in the states. Normally, the masseuse welcomes you into the room and then instructs you to disrobe and lay on the table facing down (or up depending on what they will work on first). This time ... she stayed in the room with me the whole time! I felt so awkward! She did hold up a towel for privacy so I could disrobe and lay down. It was a really nice massage even if it was only 25 minutes. Then the same thing again ... she stayed in the room while she got me a glass of water and then held up a towel again for privacy. I guess I don't mind being naked but what make it awkward for me was the not knowing what to do.

They only took two of us at a time for the massage so Cattis and I waited 25 minutes for Anna to have her massage. Then we all took another visit to the sauna as it was a bit cold sitting in the wet bathrobes. Now that was nice! We all had a nice long shower and got dressed just in time for Patrik to pick us up. None of us wanted to leave but it was a real treat to be able to have most of the day to ourselves. We started at 10am when we left our house and got picked up just after 4pm. It was a great day so far! More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment