Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Chocolate

Ah, the goodness and sweetness that is chocolate. I have been having some serious, hard-core cravings lately and I suspect a lot of it has to do with the hormone changes raging in my body. Things are all settled down now but I think I am suffering from a bit of postpartum depression. There are certainly days that are VERY hard to get out of bed or wake up out of my slumber stupor. Of course, now that I have this nasty little cold it doesn't make things any better BUT chocolate can almost always save the day.

There were some things said in another forum that unfortunately got closed because a certain person couldn't keep their mouth shut. I want to make sure the good things aren't lost and maybe I can track down some of this chocolate that was recommended.

Stuff I have already tried:
  • Lindt Petits Desserts: Truffle Cake (really smooth and YUMMY)
  • Ghiradelli 60% cocoa with espresso (okay but not overly impressive)
  • Nestle truffle bar with 50% cocoa (supposed to be similar to the Lindt but way lower quality)
  • Lindt Petits Desserts: Creme Brulee (milk chocolate instead of dark but still really YUMMY)
JJ suggested:
Lindt Dark Chocolate Truffles are excellent, and a favorite of mine for years. But, my current favorite is Santander Colombian single origen 70%, or 65%, dark chocolate. The bars are a bit smaller than Lindt, about 2.5 oz., IIRC. I find them at Bello Vino Market, a gourmet food store, for $2, and better yet, for $1.25 at Arbor Farms natural food store. I bet they are available around the US. Both are wonderful, velvety smooth, rich, full-flavored. The 65% bars are fruitier, and just a tad sweeter. Venezuelan chocolate is also excellent. We have a local Deli, that markets online, Zingermans, and they have a lot of gourmet chocolate, way better than Godiva.

Lyta, the Lindt Intense Pear is another current favorite of mine. I know what you mean about some of the higher percentage ones, they can be a bit bitter, and kind of one-note, and not very smooth or rich tasting. But, some are amazingly good. The Santander ones are great, much better than Lindt 70%. If you have a Trader Joes near you, try their pound-plus (.5kg) Belgian bars, in four varieties. Their 70% bar costs just $3.99, amazingly cheap for so much decent chocolate!

~Monica~

No comments:

Post a Comment