Friday, July 8, 2011

Lazy Swedish Summer Days

We didn't do much yesterday but it was a wonderful, warm day and the sun was shinning again so we headed out to a small park with a splash pool. The temp said 22C or about 72F but it really felt warmer. I think maybe the place where they measure the temperature is a bit off or somewhere cooler like by the sea? It was nice mid-70's like weather to me and maybe a bit warmer especially if you sat in the sun.

The park was a very short drive and the kids had fun playing. Linnea liked the splash pool (it only had a few inches of water) a lot more than Davin who actually likes to swim now. I think he was disappointed to see the "pool" as he was expecting something you can swim in. Still, he had fun on the toys and he really liked this big papasan type of swing that they had. Both kids could lay down and swing and at one point I thought they might fall asleep! I just love all the different Swedish toys on the playground. There was something like a merry-go-round but it had little tricycles that you needed to pedal to make it go around. They also have a lot of recycled tire toys like tire swings and a zip-line with tires too. They also had many riding toys to play on too like tricycles with type of sled attachment on the back so you could drag another person behind. I was thinking how nice it is that you can have riding toys that belong to the park and no one will steal them.

After we played for a bit we headed to a little restaurant by the water to have some smorgasbord which was quite nice. It was about 2-3pm by the time we ate so I was quite hungry and the food was pretty good. I chose not to eat the herring items but they had salmon and meatballs and other cold cut items. There was also a yummy potato salad and green salad too. I finished my meal with a small dessert that was some sort of vanilla pudding topped with some tart berries. It had raspberries, blueberries and red currant berries. Farfar and Fredrik took the kids for a small walk while the adults had some coffee at the end of the meal. It was a very nice place to eat but the choices were either inside where it was very warm or outside where it was actually a bit chilly with the breeze in the shade. We moved our table into the sun and it was perfect.

Since we ate lunch so late, Irene made a salad for dinner which was very similar to the salad she made the day we arrived. It had eggs, tuna, tomatoes, cucumber, yellow peppers, feta cheese and green olives with garlic. Really yummy!

We didn't do much else that evening and I went to bed early because Davin had woken up in the middle of the night with a bloody nose. I am pretty sure he is allergic to some pollen or grass or something because he has been congested 24/7 since the end of April. The bloody nose wasn't a bad one and it was mostly just dripping snot. However, he did go to bed complaining that his eye hurt but he was so tired that he fell asleep before we could do anything about it. Of course, when he woke up his eye was very puffy and bloodshot in both eyes now. It definitely looked like hay fever symptoms rather than what happens when he gets cheese/milk in his eye. So, we washed his hands and face and I tried some of my allergy eye drops but those stung so I gave him some Benedryl which seemed to help. At least he slept and his eyes looked better in the morning.

I forgot to mention that we went to the drug store after our smorgasbord lunch to look for something for Davin's allergies. They recommended Claritin which is the same in the USA. However, they said it was okay for him to have 10mg when I think the kids Claritin only has 5mg. I also thought it was interesting that they offer a generic Claritin which we bought instead since it was 1/3 the price! I might buy some more before we leave! I also bought some calamine lotion for my mosquito bite that I got at the cabin. I am allergic to mosquito bites so they are quite uncomfortable for me. I took some medicine that Irene had so I bought more of that too at the drug store plus mosquito repellent which I was borrowing from Farfar. Hopefully, we won't need more meds!

Today is another nice, warm summer day but it is a little more overcast. The temp seems warmer as the forcast says 24C or 75F. It feels a lot warmer than that but the house can get pretty warm. The thermometer at the house says it is 26C or 79F outside and 27C or 81F inside. It makes me really miss our AC at our new home! We haven't done much this morning and Linnea is taking a nap now. After lunch and her nap we plan on heading out on Farfar's boat for a little trip on the water. I think it will be very fun for the kids and good to get out on the water where it is sure to be cooler.

Farfar is on a mission to secure some life vests for the kids otherwise the boat ride is off. Cross your fingers for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment