Monday, July 4, 2011

Swedish Food and Groceries

We didn't do much today really. As I mentioned before ... Linnea woke up at 3:30am along with Fredrik and I followed around 4:30am. Davin slept in until 7:30am or so as we had to wake him up so we were all on the same schedule. Irene (Fredrik's step mom) and Henrik (Fredrik's brother) were still sleeping as they both stayed up late to watch a Metallica concert on TV.

I discovered that Linnea loves smoked, thinly sliced turkey this morning! I was eating Swedish sandwiches for my breakfast and she wanted to try some and devoured the meat! She also was afraid to try the strawberry/vanilla yogurt they had. I think she was put off by the fact that it had to be poured into a glass (I couldn't find a small bowl) and also that it had bits of strawberry in it. However, she was eventually was convinced to try a small bite and then insisted on having lots more. I am glad she is a more adventurous eater than Davin. The one good thing about being here is there is no problem finding the Swedish caviar that Davin likes. Usually, we can only buy it at Ikea at home. I think it stinks to high **** but he loves it. We squeeze some onto crispbread and breakfast is served for him!

After everyone woke up and had some coffee, they decided to go for a walk and enjoy the sunshine. I didn't look at the temperature today but my guess was in the low to mid 60's? I decided to take a shower and the kids, Fredrik and Irene went for a walk to the school which has a playground. They returned shortly after I was done showering so they weren't gone long but they had fun and burned off some energy.

After some more visiting with Irene and Henrik, we made lunch and then had Linnea take a nap since she woke up so early. She doesn't normally nap anymore but it is necessary sometimes. Fredrik was also tired so he joined her. Irene and I decided to head to the grocery store to pick up some more things that we might like to eat. Davin had been sitting around playing games on their PS3 so I forced him to come with us. It was fun to go and experience all the interesting Swedish things. I did like their self-check out system which you checked out your own barcode scanner as you entered. It is connected to a grocery card like we use at home. You then scan and bag your groceries as you are shopping. You check out the scanner as you leave and then pay for the groceries. Quite clever!

We got back and woke up Linnea and Fredrik which was a bit hard to do. It felt like the middle of the night for them which I suppose it was! Irene made dinner which was halibut (?) cooked in cream, mushrooms and black caviar with a salad. We served it over rice and I had quinoa which was a new item for Irene. She has been doing a low carb, high fat diet for a while which suits me just perfect but had never tried quinoa which I really enjoy.

A cute thing that happened as I was tucking Linnea in ... she always likes to "talk" before I leave about what she will do the next day. This is usually the same thing which is picking up Davin from school but she doesn't quite understand that there is no school for him especially now that we are in Sweden. So instead, I was trying to tell her something we would be doing tomorrow which was looking forward to Farfar (Fredrik's dad) coming home. She didn't know who that was so I said that he is someone who looks like Daddy but is Daddy's Daddy. She then thought about it and said what about that guy who likes red and is smart and strong. Well, that guy is Henrik who happened to be wearing a red t-shirt two days in a row. I said that was her uncle and we would have to ask him what his favorite color is since not everyone wears their favorite color like her and Davin do. I didn't think Henrik looked like Fredrik but when I came downstairs to tell them what happened I realized they do look more alike than I thought. Sure, Henrik has shaved his head and has glasses but he does have a beard similar to Fredrik's. Irene also thought they do look alike so maybe Linnea wasn't so crazy after all! I still think it is funny especially since Henrik is 9 years younger than Fredrik!

Anyway, the kids went to bed at a "normal" hour tonight. It is about 11pm and I am about to collapse. I haven't had a nap like Fredrik did so I think I should sign off and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment