Friday, July 31, 2015

Blue Lagoon Spa

This is the same day we arrived in Iceland but it feels like a new day because we napped. I made everyone wake up at about 2pm (7am our time) because I was determined to make it to the Blue Lagoon Spa today. We had a bus transfer scheduled for earlier in the day but I emailed to reschedule it for later but forgot that they wanted us to be there 30 mins before the scheduled time. I should have said the time to have the bus come get us and not the time I would be there. My fault but it was fixed as we caught the next bus and still made it to the spa on time.

We have arrived at the Blue Lagoon Spa! It is a man made lagoon which is a side effect of the geothermal power plant's run off and the water is renewed every day.



I booked our spa time just before we left our apartment as I wasn't sure what time we would arrive and I didn't get a travel agent discount for booking ahead like all the other items that I planned for this trip. We decided to eat as soon as we arrived and then head into the spa. Next time, I will know to go directly to the restaurant which can be accessed before entering the spa. We just had to circumvent the security system as once you exited the spa, there was no re-entry so someone had to let us in and out manually.

The food was very good and I wasn't crazy about the amount of dressing on my salad but I like a very lightly dressed salad. I had the fish of the day which was a local catfish pan fried. Fredrik was less pleased about his meal but it was still decent. He had the beef tenderloin I think but it didn't seem very tender. Even the kids ate well. Davin liked his chicken but Linnea didn't. I think it was too plain for her but they didn't have her usual mac & cheese so maybe that is why. There were plenty of french fries and bread to keep her full though.

Our yummy dinner at the Lava Restaurant inside the Blue Lagoon. Linnea was less than thrilled with the food but Davin liked his which is a miracle. I loved my fresh catch of the day and Fredrik had beef tenderloin. 
Then we were off to the spa! We took some photos before heading in and then we spent the rest of the evening enjoying the water. It is very murky so you have to be careful where you are walking. The ground is uneven and there are places to sit along the edges too but you can't even see the first step into the water so it is weird. We all participated in the silica mask so our faces were all white. Too bad we didn't have a photo! Linnea and I were the only ones to do the 2nd part of the facial which was an algae mask so our faces were green this time. You only need a little bit of the green mask so actually our faces weren't that funny looking.

We took some photos before we entered the spa. 
Overall, the kids loved the spa and had a lot of fun! Fredrik had enough about 2/3 of the way through and at the end spent some time at the Lagoon Bar drinking a Pepsi and babysitting the kids slushies. We headed back at 9pm because there wasn't a 10pm bus. Since the bus ride is almost an hour long, we decided to take the earlier bus. I wouldn't have minded staying longer but I didn't want to push our luck on the first day. I just didn't have time to shop like I would have liked (they had a nice, big gift shop there) but I am really glad we went back when we did.

Our huge bus and we were the only ones on it! 
The other nice thing was that by the time we got to the bus, it was full so we had to go on the 2nd bus but we ended up being the only people on it. The bus was huge and could hold at least 50 people! The nice thing about it is we avoided the bus transfer and still got dropped off about 2 blocks away from our apartment. We had a quick snack of beef jerky while Fredrik headed to the store for some provisions. I was really tired and fell asleep very quickly.

Kids were tired on the bus ride home. Since the spa is close to the airport, the bus ride is another 50 minutes to our apartment. 
Some photos from the bus ride home through the lava fields. 

No comments:

Post a Comment